26 November 2017. Dusting down memories and the Harbour Front.

I set off in the morning planning to cover some of the ground of my last visit. This took me to St Andrews Church and then the National Art Gallery. On the Green opposite the Gallery (and that also looked like the ground for the Cricket Club), a football competition - The Asia Cup, was taking place. The pitches looked like a quagmire and wouldn't be great for cricket for  while.





















I carried on via the Arts House




and Victoria Theatre.



The Riverside is very pretty and home to sculptures representing the old Singapore.
.




There is also an installation of modern sound-emitting sculptures outside the Asian Civilizations Museum.


There seemed to be a Graduation Ceremony nearby and the Cavenagh Bridge provided a good photographic backdrop for pictures. 


I then went down to the Telok Ayer area, looking in at some of the Temples and ex-Temples along the road, including Fuk Tak Chi, a Chinese temple.


I wandered around Chinatown and then decided to take the MRT to Harbour Front, and area I had not seen. In some ways I wish I hadn't bothered. Although there are some noce views of the old harbour

  and modern docks

the Island of Semerosa seemed to be a giant theme park that included a weird simulated couple of cranes.


 I'm afraid I hurried back to the Asian Civilization Museum! This included an incredible display of 900 year old ceramics from a wreck found off Belitung Island in the Java Sea. The boat is from the middle east and provides evidence of the extent of trade between that region and China. 



The rest of the museum also concentrated on trade as well as the range of religions in Asia. It made me feel very ignorant!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 November 2017, Day at the National Gallery Singapore

24 December 2017. Trip to the New Territories - Sai Kung and Wong Shek

25 November 2017. Fort Canning Park