24 December 2017. Trip to the New Territories - Sai Kung and Wong Shek

I'd never been to the New Territories in my previous vists and decided on a journey that was described as scenic. I'm so glad I did so. It was a beautiful day with a clear blue sky and I headed for Admiralty to do the first leg of my journey.
On the way to the station I came across a Democracy Demonstration that seemed well humoured on the part of the demonstrators and the police.

The MTR took me to Diamond Hill. From there, I took the 92 to Sai Kung. This was itself a very pleasant 30 minute ride past a large marina, as well as a prison run by the Correctional Service.
At Sai Kung, I switched to the 94 to Wong Shek.
I seemed to be about the only person on the bus without an enormous backpack and hiking sticks.

Before setting off on a walk, I had  look around the area around the pier. It had lovely views out to sea



 as well as a well-used picnic area.
There was also a facility for dinghy sailing and windsurfing
A map showed all the walks and I decided on one that was close by and easy.
This afforded lovely views as I walked along the quiet track



Along the way were small campsites. It was interesting the use that Hing Kongers made of the lovely environment on their doorstep.
Back at the pier, there was more activity with a fleet of windsurfers in action
I took the 94 back to Sai Kung and decided to look around before connecting with the 92. I'm glad I did. Sai Kung was a lovely laid back town with a big emphasis on seafood. This ws on sale from boats moored along the quay

as well as in a long line of restaurants
The harbour was pretty and very crowded with fishing boats


as well as ferry boats plying their trade
It seemed a very dog-friendly place where people brought their pooches for a country outing


I had some lunch at one of the many restaurants and caught the 92 back to the MTR, passing a large bay with lots of yachts and boats on swinging moorings. 

Back on the main Island, I took an evening trip to Causeway Bay which was heaving with shoppers.


I then went back towards Central to see the Christmas Tree at night as well as to enjoy the various groups celebrating Christmas Eve





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 November 2017, Day at the National Gallery Singapore

25 November 2017. Fort Canning Park